Child Support & Spousal Support With Military Parent | Tessmer Law Firm
post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-861,single-format-standard,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-title-hidden,qode-theme-ver-13.9,qode-theme-bridge,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-6.1,vc_responsive

Determining Child & Spousal Support with a Military Parent

When a servicemember is involved, calculating child and spousal support requires including all income, taxable or not.


When determining the military parent’s income, it is best not to use a tax return. Because some of the income that servicemembers receive is tax-free, you will be calculating with an amount that is too low. Instead, use the Leave and Earnings Statement (LES), which is similar to a pay stub but far more comprehensive. The LES will show you the military parent’s basic pay, housing and other allowances, as well as information about how many dependents the servicemember is claiming and how much accrued leave is available. The IRS does not tax military housing and food allowances, but in most states, child support guidelines include all income, whether it is taxable or not.


We are experienced in handling family law matters where one party is an active duty or retired servicemenber.  We are military dependents, too!  Let us answer your questions and explain how we can help you.  Call 210-368-9708 to schedule a consultation with us.  Tessmer Law Firm, PLLC are your San Antonio attorneys putting military families first!